HD VERSION (1920 x 1080 px)
Time lapse through sunset of the War Office building in Whitehall, the road that runs between Trafalgar Square and Westminster Square. The War Office was occupied by the Ministry of Defence until 1964. 24 seconds
More about the War Office building
The War Office was a department of the British Government responsible for the administration of the British Army between the 17th century and 1964, when its functions were transferred to the Ministry of Defence.
The name “War Office” is also given to the former home of the department, the War Office building located at the junction of Horse Guards Avenue and Whitehall in central London. In August 2013 it was announced that the War Office building would be sold on the open market.
Between 1906 and its abolition in 1964, the War Office was based in a large neo-Baroque building, completed in 1906, located on Horse Guards Avenue at its junction with Whitehall in central London. It contains about 1,000 rooms across seven floors, linked by 2½ miles of corridors. The construction of the War Office building took five years to complete at what was then a huge cost of over £1.2 million.
The building is somewhat oddly shaped, forming a trapezium shape in order to maximise the usage of the irregularly shaped plot of land on which it was built. Its four distinctive domes were designed as a decorative means of disguising the building’s shape.
The building continued to be used by the Ministry of Defence and is not open to the public. In August 2013 it was announced that the building would be put up for sale on the open market with the aim of realising offers in excess of £100 million. It is likely to become a hotel.
On 13 December 2014 the Ministry of Defence confirmed that the War Office building had been sold to Indian origin Hinduja Group for an undisclosed amount. The War office building will be converted to 5 star hotel and residential apartments by Hinduja group in partnership with Spanish group Obrascon Huarte Lain Desarrollos.